Today, many people are looking for ways on how to listen to music or sounds comfortably and conveniently. For example, if you are commuting and want to listen to music but do not want to disturb other people around you, using devices like headphones can help. However, one of the drawbacks of headphones is that they tend to be bulky and difficult to carry around. With this, manufacturers came up with an idea to create smaller versions that can fit comfortably in the ears, which are easier to carry and store, as well. These are called earbuds.
Earbuds are more portable, more pleasurable to use, and more affordable compared to headphones. And just like headphones, they also come in different types. If you want to learn more about them, read on as we’re giving you the ultimate guide to earbuds.
Earphones vs. Earbuds: What’s the Difference?
Many people commonly use the terms ‘earphones’ and ‘earbuds’ interchangeably. However, there are differences between the two. Here are some of them:
- Appearance: One of the differences between earbuds and earphones is their appearance. Earphones usually have cushions so they can fit more comfortably in the ear. These cushions are usually made of memory foam, rubber, or silicone and are designed to fit inside the ear canal perfectly. Earbuds, on the other hand, do not have these cushions as they fit outside the ear canal. However, the issue is that they slip off easily as they come in only one size.
- Sound Isolation: Earbuds are not completely isolating because they fit outside the ear canal. This means that you will experience more sound leakage when you use a pair of earbuds. They are great if you do not want to be completely cut off from the outside world. But if you want privacy when you are listening to music, then you should pick earphones due to their cushion design and higher sound quality that allow complete isolation.
- Price: Earphones usually cost more compared to earbuds as they have better bass control, sound quality, and exterior design to fit more comfortably in the ear. Earbuds are a bit cheaper, making them easy to replace. Also, they are usually included when you buy mobile phones and media players. But most of them have volume control.
The Different Types of Earbuds
As mentioned earlier, earbuds come in different types. Each of these types provides features depending on the usage, style, quality, and brands of your choice. Here are the different types of earbuds:
It is indeed more fun to exercise or play certain sports while listening to some music. However, when you do these activities, you tend to become sweaty, and you have to move frantically. Therefore, getting sports earbuds is essential for you. Sports earbuds are usually waterproof, sweatproof, and are stable, which are great for sports and workouts. In addition to that, most sports earbuds will also allow you to adjust the volume accordingly. This way, you can focus on the music while you exercise.
Earbuds with Built-In Microphones
There are also earbuds that come with built-in microphones. These are great if you want to make a call in noisy environments. These are perfect for work and commute. Also, the microphone increases the earbuds’ versatility too.
Earbuds with Safe Audio Limit
It is also essential that you choose a pair of earbuds that have an audio limit, especially if you are buying them for your kids. Many earbud manufacturing brands have an all-new range of earbuds that offer safe audio limits. They are designed for people to enjoy listening to music without damaging their hearing.
Using wired earbuds is great for those who are afraid to lose their earbuds. The wire helps the user to fit the earbud securely around the ear and inside it.
It is quite frustrating to untangle the wires of the earbuds every time you need to use them. The solution to this is to use a pair of wireless earbuds. Most wireless earbuds today have the 4.0 Bluetooth technology or even higher. They are perfect for traveling and very easy to store, too.
If you are looking for more types of earbuds, the following articles might help you:
- Best Earbuds for Basketball
- Best Earbuds for Gaming
- Wireless Beats Earbuds
- Guide to Noise Cancelling Earbuds
- Most Comfortable Earbuds
- Wireless Earbud Alternatives to the Apple AirPods
- Sennheiser Ear Bud Reviews
Things to Consider When Buying Earbuds
If you plan to buy some earbuds soon, here are some of the important things that you need to consider:
- Rate of Occurrence: The bass of the speaker depends on the frequency of the earbuds. Therefore, if the hertz is low, it will produce more bass.
- Electric Resistance: To emit the hissing sound produced by the speakers when they are connected to different devices, the effective resistance is needed.
- Drivers: The earbuds should have appropriate drivers to enhance the sound produced by the speakers. Since earbuds are small, it is quite challenging to build drivers according to the requirement of the user.
- Extensiveness: When a comfortable level of volume is set, the more they work or, the longer they work.
- Vulnerability: Keep in mind that earbuds are very small and they are sensitive. They need to be taken care of well to work for a long time.
- Weight: Try to choose earbuds that are made of lightweight materials to avoid stressing your ears. You can find super light earbuds in the market that will make you feel that you are not wearing anything on your ears.
- Comfort: Earbuds tend to have minimalist looks, which makes them comfortable to wear. There are many different designs available for earbuds. Try to choose one that would provide you with the ultimate comfort.
If you are looking for a pair of high-quality earbuds, you can check out the following links for options:
- 5 Best Waterproof Earbuds for Swimming
- 5 Best Earbuds for Small Ears Reviews
- 5 Best Sound Quality Earbuds for Every Budget
- 10 Best Earbuds for the Money Reviews
- 5 Amazing Bluetooth Earbuds for Running Hacks
- 5 Top Rated Wireless Earbuds Review
- 5 Top Rated Bluetooth Earbuds Review of 2021
- 5 Best Bluetooth Earbuds for Working Out 2021
- Top 3 Noise Cancelling Earbuds for Sleeping
Pros and Cons of Using Earbuds
Like any other device, earbuds also come with some pros and cons. Here are some of them:
- Earbuds are lightweight and very easy to carry, making them great for traveling and commuting.
- Earbuds are quite affordable due to their size, shape, and quality.
- Earbuds are easy to clean and take care of.
- Earbuds are more comfortable to use and wear compared to other devices used to listen to sounds.
- There are various health issues that come with using earbuds. One is that they may block the ear canals. Also, tightly fit earbuds may also block air circulation through the ear, which can lead to other health hazards.
- Since earbuds are only available in a limited number of sizes and shapes, it may happen that the size of the ear cup will not match the size or shape of the earbuds, which is uncomfortable.
- There’s also a leakage of sound that takes place in earbuds. When this happens, the user may not be able to understand the complete wording of the music or conversation. But high-quality earbuds can provide you with better sound quality.
Earbuds are indeed great options if you are looking for convenience and portability when listening to music or talking to someone over the phone when you are outdoors. Since they are small in size, they are easy to bring with you anywhere and store when you don’t need them. We hope this guide helped you learn more about earbuds. For more related topics, you can click on the links below:
- Tips for Protecting Your Hearing While Using Earbuds and Headphones
- Review of Oomo 3D 5.1 Surround Sound Earbuds
- Best Apple AirPod Accessories
- Types of Earbud Technology
- Different Types of Specialty Earbuds
- Tips for Earbud Safety
- Find Out What are the Best Earbuds on the Market Like a Pro with the Help of This Review
- History of Headphones and Earbuds
- The Difference Between Earphones and Earbuds